Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Turkey Noodle Soup


Home made soup is the perfect dinner for a day like today! Last week, I roasted one of the turkeys that I got on sale after Thanksgiving. The turkey has provided us with meals for a week, and only cost $13. Today, I had just enough turkey left for this soup, and frozen turkey stock that I had made from a previous turkey. Measurements are estimated, especially the herbs and spices. Please adjust the recipe to your taste! You can also add celery and onions with the carrots; I just didn't have any today!

Turkey Noodle Soup:
8 cups turkey stock (or chicken stock)
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups-2 cups diced or shredded turkey
2 cups bowtie pasta (or whatever your shape preference)
1 tablespoon dried parsely (fresh would also be nice)
2 tsp  ground marjoram
2 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

In a stock pot, heat the oil and butter until butter is melted and the oil begins to shimmer. Add the carrots to the butter and oil; stir to coat them in oil as you add the herbs and spices, saving the salt. Heat the carrots, stirring often, until they are slightly tender. Add the stock  to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the pasta. Just before the pasta is finished cooking, add the turkey and salt. Boil until the pasta and carrots are tender.

I also added 1/4 cup of turkey fat from the pan that I had baked the turkey in, at the same time that I added the meat, and allowed it to melt into the stock. I think this really gave the soup a great boost in flavor. It was served with slices of home made bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment