Saturday, August 29, 2009

Potty Party!

I haven't had time to blog about this, but it was a very important milestone in our EC journey that I have to note. A couple of weeks ago, Jonah did an astonishing thing. It all started with a diaper rash caused by disposable diapers.

See, when we were on vacation, we had no way of washing our diapers. So, we used disposables. Silly me, thought that one pack would be enough for the whole week, and needless to say we were at the mercey of whatever brands the local stores in Park City offered. They did not carry any unbleached brands, so I got some Luvs and honestly didn't think much of it. It was only for a couple of days. I did note how heavily perfumed the diapers were, but we needed diapers.

When we got home, he had a raw rash on his bottom. I said a few curses towards the disposable diapers, but all in all thought that it would get better once we switched back to cloth. Because of the birthday party preparations, Jonah was in a diaper more than usual that week, and the rash was being persistent.

Finally, I made that wonderful choice again. The choice that we would go one full day without using any diapers. I thought surely, this will help the diaper rash! I stripped Jonah down, put his potty in the living room, and we started to play our games. Suddenly, in the middle of pushing his truck, Jonah stopped and went over to his potty. I wasn't sure how I felt about this. I don't want Jonah to think he can't go near his potty, but the thought of him playing in it doesn't appeal to me either! I waited to see what he was going to do. He climbed up onto the potty and sat down, smiling at me and jibbering some syllables that don't really mean anything.

"goofy boy!" I said as I went to pick him up, but something told me I absolutely should not pick up that baby right now! The look on his face, it was something familiar.... "sssssss" was the next sound that Jonah uttered. He said it while looking at me very intently. Then he smiled, clapped, and climbed down. I looked in the potty. It was pale yellow. I couldn't believe it! We had what I call, a little potty party. Usually, we clap and say "yay!" when he is done going potty (which is why he smiled and clapped) but this time, I went all out! I did a dance, and made up a little song. I told Jonah how great it was. He was so proud of himself, smiling and clapping, I couldn't help but be this happy for him!

I was amazed that after two weeks of going in his pants, the first catch we made was one he did all on his own.

Unfortunately, we've had to keep the potty out of the living room because of our dog, so Jonah hasn't had any more chances to go on his own again. I'm hoping to be able to give him more chances this week. I'll be reporting on how things go!

No comments:

Post a Comment