Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Sewing Machine

In this box is a sewing machine. Not just any sewing machine- MY sewing machine. You might ask me how you could be sure that there really is a sewing machine in the box. I could be lying to you. The only answer that I have for that, is that you can be just as sure as I am that there is a sewing machine in this box. I have not opened it to check. I've had the box.. um, sewing machine.. for nearly ten months now.

Daryl bought me this box.. I mean sewing machine.. around Jonah's first birthday, which is mid-August. We were very heavily considering adding a second child to our family at this time, and I wanted to learn how to sew, so that I could make things like diapers and slings and blankets during the pregnancy. As you may know, I am now 37 weeks pregnant, and as you can see I have made little (or no) progress in learning how to sew a single stitch.

I have looked up patterns online, bought fabrics and threads, but for whatever reasons I cannot bring myself to open this box. I have sent out a plea to mothers in my local cloth diaper community, and they have agreed to walk me through sewing my first diaper tomorrow at our diaper swap.

I will report back tomorrow on how this goes. I will either be super proud of myself, or I will feel like a total failure at it! Stay tuned to find out if it really is a sewing machine inside the box, and to see if I really can learn how to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment