Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Easy Eight Layer Pumpkin Cake

This recipe was inspired by the Pumpkin Torte recipe in A Taste of Home 2010 Fall Baking Cookbook, but of course I can't leave anything alone so I changed it a bit!

This impressive cake is as easy to make as mixing and frosting any boxed cake mix! I know I am a big advocate of making things from scratch, but this season can be hectic enough. With everything else that I've been making in the kitchen, I opted for the "easy-out" for this recipe. I'd rather spend time with my family than worry about dessert!

Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves

preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients together. Beat for two minutes. Divide between two 9 inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake for about a half hour, or until inserted knife comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes then turn the cakes out of the pans onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.

Filling:
2 container cream cheese frosting
1.5 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp nutmeg
finely chopped pecans


Combine all ingredients except pecans. Slice each 9 inch round horizontally, to make four layers of cake. On the serving plate, layer cake, frosting, pecans, cake, frosting pecans. On the top, leave the pecans off. Frost the sides of the cake (the picture in the cookbook did not have the sides frosted, but I thought it would look better and taste better completely frosted)

Garnish:
Cinnamon
fresh cranberries
caramel sundae sauce

sprinkle the cinnamon over the top layer so that it appears to be lightly dusted. Place the cranberries around the edge of the cake. Use the caramel sauce for decorating the plate, or serve it on the side with each slice.


Easy Peasy Pumpkin Pie! um, I mean cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment