Thursday, March 18, 2010

Another Eggsellent Activity

I love this time of year for thinking of new activities, because there are so many products out there that are egg shaped. Eggs are great for little hands to manipulate and explore. Don't be surprised if you see egg-themed activities on my blog through the month of April!

In the easter section of our grocery store, I found these plastic eggs for about $4. They come in a plastic container that the eggs nestle into nicely, and each larger egg has two smaller eggs inside of it. I'm looking for ways to help Jonah with his fine motor skills, as well as his balance. Manipulating these eggs to find the smaller eggs inside, and even just putting them into each slot in the container, is a great way to get Jonah to use his fine motor skills. By putting the container on an elevated surface, where Jonah had to let go of the surface in order to play the game, we worked on his balance at the same time!


Jonah loved these eggs. We played with them for about an hour. He would take them out of the container, move them around and rearrange them, dump the whole container out and put them back in. I showed him how to open the egg and find the surprise inside. He loved finding all of the smaller eggs, and experimented with putting the smaller eggs into the slots as well.


He did really well, leaning against the ottoman and using his hands to manipulate the eggs rather than holding himself up.

One thing that he likes to do, that I didn't expect, is sort the eggs by color. If I mix all of the colors up, he rearranges them so that the colors are next to each other. This really surprises me, but I'm not sure why I'm surprised when he does things like this! He's very interested in matching. He loves to match pictures together, or things of the same color. Here's a picture of the eggs after he's organized them. The only eggs "out of place" are the green and orange, and shortly after I took this picture, he switched them so they were matched as well. I tried to get a picture of that, but he dumped them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment