Friday, March 5, 2010

Daddy Time!

I love watching Daryl play with Jonah. I mean, I really love it. It gives me those profound feelings that seem like they can't be put into simple words, but that's as simple as it gets- I love it! Seeing them together in their most happy moments, makes me realize how lucky I truly am. It really puts into perspective all of the good things in my life, and gives me the sense that absolutely nothing is wrong with the universe.

Just last night, Jonah discovered the nuudles left over from our science play group. I had left them in the baking trays and not yet put them back into their box. I didn't see anything wrong with Jonah playing with them, if that is what he wanted, so I let him get them out. Daryl was just as interested in the brightly colored corn starch pellets. We watched Jonah as he started to take them out of the trays, one handful at a time, and then he got impatient and dumped them all out. Daryl couldn't resist any more and he got down on the floor to play with Jonah in the rainbow colored pile.

I told Daryl that I was not cleaning those nuudles up one more time, so he would have to clean up their mess when they were done. I still had the rest of play group to clean up! At this remark, Daryl took two of the trays and started to scoop them up, dragging the trays along the floor. Jonah, who was watching intently, picked up the third tray and started dragging it along the floor too. He did not seem to mind that his tray was only pushing the nuudles, and not picking them up!

This touched me, because I don't see Jonah mimicking either me or Daryl very often. He will observe us, very intently, but he never seems to care about copying our actions. It was so cute to see him trying to do what Daddy is doing. He looked so grown up with all of that concentration on his face!

They continued playing in the nuudles for quite a while. Daryl started dumping the nuudles over Jonah's head, which of course led to an all out tickle fight and wrestling match. These are the moments that I wish I could freeze in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment