Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Week In Training Review: Week 2

photo from here

We are only three weeks into training, and I am already behind in posting my week-in reviews. Between keeping up the actual running schedule, some volunteer work I've been doing the last couple of weeks, and chasing the kids, there has been no time for the blog! Better late than never, though, so here is my training week number 2:

Week Mon. Tue. Wed. Thu. Fri. Sat. Sun.
2 off5 M Fartlek 3M 5M 6M 3M 9M

This week's schedule was kicked off with a workout that is somewhat new to me. The idea of a fartlek is that you run a consistent pace for a short period of time or a short distance (half a mile or 1/4 mile) and then change to a different pace, alternating slow paces and fast paces and randomly picking the length of each interval. If you are interested in more specifics about how to run this workout, visit this page, for more information. I found this to be a nice way to break into the week's workout. It is challenging, pushes me to test limits, but at the same time it breaks up the mileage to think of each segment in smaller increments.

The rest of the week was very tough for me. A huge drawback to being a female runner is that once a month our female parts do their female thing. Like many other women, when this time of the month hits, I want to crawl into my bed and not come out until it's over. Cramps, feeling fat, fatigue... these are all reasons that I did not want to do a single run during week two.

But I did, and I felt better for it. I did skip the friday run once again. I am not sure if running such distances for six days a week is actually helping me reach my goals, or simply fatiguing me beyond my capacity.

Another change I made this week was on my weekend runs. Because the marathon will be happening outside and in the morning, I've decided that it is that much more important to run outside, in the morning, during training. Especially so with my longest run of the week. I've noticed in the past, with shorter 5k and 10k events, that the change in time of day that I am running really effects my time. It also makes sense that I need to learn to run a consistent pace during long distances even on an inconsistent route. A treadmill stays static and simulates a perfect flat course (unless I program it otherwise, and I'll own up to it- I don't) but the route I'll be running on race morning has hills, changing grades, and changes in the pavement. Another reason for moving my weekend runs to the morning rather than at naptime, is that it's been extremely hot in the afternoons, making any outdoor activity dangerous. It was much more comfortable to run in the morning. I also gained confidence in knowing about what I can expect my body to be doing during that time period on race day.

***I will be running the Akron Half Marathon on September 24, 2011, to raise money for St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital. If you would like to sponsor me by giving a donation to St. Jude, or if you would like to know more about the hospital, please go to my donation page. All of the money raised will go directly to St. Jude. I will be giving weekly updates on my training here on this blog***

No comments:

Post a Comment