Thursday, July 21, 2011

Week In Training Review: Week 3

Week three of training was scheduled to look like this:

Week Mon. Tue. Wed. Thu. Fri. Sat. Sun.
3
Off Hills 3M 6M 6M 3M 10M
But it actually looked like this:
WeekMon.Tue.Wed.Thu.Fri.Sat.Sun.
3
OffIntensity
3M6MOff
3M5,5M

I don't have any decent hills nearby, so I swapped the first workout with one that I found in a magazine and was interested in doing. It's called an intensity workout, and involves sprinting on the treadmill at it's highest slope for 15 second increments. It is 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off, for a duration of 8 minutes, with one mile of warm up jogging and one mile of cool down. It was short but intense, and I could use a workout such as that in my routine.

Once again I took the Friday off. I just don't think my body was ready to be pushed six workouts a week. The signs are all telling me that I need a night of rest, and the need seems to be most prominent by the time I get to the Friday run.

I will add the Friday back in as my body gets used to the new schedule. The Sunday run was also considerably shorter than it was intended to be. I'm really not happy about that. I had slept in, attempting to get a few winks while Daryl watched the kids. By the time I got up, ate something, and was ready to go, the temperature outside was soaring; especially the temperature on the black pavement of the road. I decided to go anyway. There was a man running the opposite direction. The first time we crossed paths, we glanced across the street and waved. The second time, the wave was a little less enthusiastic and with a bit less of a smile. The third time we passed, I was beginning to feel nauseated and lifting my hand to acknowledge him was too much of an effort. He looked to be fairing about the same. As he approached he shouted to me "This is getting dangerous, we both need to go home. It's just too hot." I felt he was right. Not wanting to risk heat exhaustion, I ran the 1.5 miles back home and jumped on the treadmill. Although it felt better to be in the air conditioning, I think my body was already putting the brakes on. I ran two more miles on the treadmill before raising the white flag. I was going to be sick if I didn't.

Week four's long run is scheduled to only be eight miles, but I think I will try to push it to ten, since I didn't make this past ten mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment